Teddy Bear Express will begin between September 8 and 12, 2012. The teddy bear you will receive will be mailed out during this time frame from its Bear Keeper location. You can expect to receive your bear within 2 to 5 business days (possibly more if from/to Canada) after the send off date if you are first on the route.
* NOTE: I am very strict with the below rules so please read this page carefully and if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask. I do understand that at times you may have a family emergency, illness, or computer problems which may prevent you from mailing your bear out when you are supposed to or fulfilling all of the requirements. However, if this is the case I expect a timely phone call (my number will be provided to you upon acceptance into the TBE program).
1. Receiving The Bear. When you receive the teddy bear at your location (within 24 hours), you will:
** E-mail the sublist PP-TBE@yahoogroups.com to let everyone know you've received the bear. Put your bear's name in the subject line. In that email you will include the date you plan to send the bear off to the next daycare on the route.
** It is your responsibility to thoroughly inspect the contents of the box and email me privately at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if any of the required contents are missing, the box is not sturdy, or you have any other concerns at all regarding the teddy bear and the contents or mailing arrival of the bear. To see a list of required contents for the box, please visit the Bear Keeper Rule Page.
** Remove the Gift in the bag labeled as such. Thank the sending location either on or off the TBE email list.
2. The Bear's Visit. You have up to TEN (10) days to keep the teddy bear at your location. During the 10 days the bear is at your daycare, you will:
** Email the PP-TBE@yahoogroups.com at least TWICE DURING your 10 days to tell about your bear's stay with you.
** Email photos of the bear to me privately at email@example.com. Limit the photos to 10 or less and do not send photos to me more than twice per your 10-day visit. Do not send your photos to the TBE email list. Whenever I update your bears' webpage, it will be announced on the email list so all can see. Be sure to keep records of parental permission for website (and FaceBook) posting if any children are in the photos. If need be, I can blur the faces of any children who have not given permission. Please keep in mind that this is a lot of work for me (even though I enjoy it) so I do appreciate your following all the photo rules especially as each one has to be resized prior to posting on our website.
** Write in the bear's journal (in the box) at least twice during your visit.
** Include photos and/or postcards in the photo album (in the box). You can also add your business cards if you'd like.
** Shop and secure (may be done before the bear arrives) a minimum of one item that will travel with and remain with the teddy bear that will ultimately become the property of the Bear Keeper when the bear returns home. This one item must be a SOUVENIR (educational about your city or state) type item from your city or state. You may also include OPTIONAL items if you wish such as things for the bear (like a blankie, clothing, bottle, etc) or gift items for the Bear Keeper. All items you send that are to remain with the bear, need to be noted on the protected sheet of paper labeled BOX CONTENTS, and individually labeled.
** Shop and secure (may be done before the bear arrives) a minimum of one 'gift' item that is for the next location on your route. See route address list for approximate number of children and their age range at the next location. The Gift items MAY NOT INCLUDE ANY FOOD OR CANDY. Please consider what you are sending. Is it something you'd like to receive? Is it age-appropriate? Is it sturdy - something that won't break or be ruined in a day? Books and Educational/Learning items are always a great idea. Cheap, plastic play food and dollar store 'junk' toys are not. Please mark any items you send for the next location as "Gift" or in the designated, enclosed bag.
2. The Box Contents. Traveling with the teddy bear you will find a:
* Journal - you will add handwritten notes/diary to this (at least twice, preferrably more) and keep it in the box.
* Photo Album - please add photos of the children with the teddy bear and/or postcards of your state or city to this and keep in the box. Preferrably both.
* a protected sheet of paper with your ROUTE ADDRESSES in mailing order. You will send the bear to the location after your own name.
* a protected sheet of paper titled BOX CONTENTS which is to remain with the bear. Please add your name and any items you wish to stay with the bear throughout his journey.
* Large Zipper Bag #1 GIFT - remove contents and keep (don't forget to thank the stop before you!) and then add something small for the bear to give to the next location from you.
* Large Zipper Bag #2 STAYS WITH BEAR - share the contents of this bag with your children and add a souvenir-type item from your location for the bear to take home with him. Don't forget to write down the items you include in this bag on the paper labeled BOX CONTENTS.
2. Mailing the Bear. You must mail the teddy bear out to the next location no more than 10 calendar days after you receive it. The bear MUST be mailed either via Parcel Post with Delivery Confirmation or Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. You will email me privately (THE DAY YOU MAIL THE BEAR) with the Delivery Confirmation number and inform me it was mailed. Purchasing insurance is optional.
If you opt to submit a story to your local newspaper (or any other publication) regarding your participation in the TBE project, I do require a proof or draft of the article to be sent to me for my approval before the story is publicized.
If you have any questions regarding our Teddy Bear Express project, please do not hesitate to email me privately.