* a teddy bear (new or used if in excellent condition) - size should be at least 18 inches or larger. Remember that your bear will be handled by many, many children so it needs to be of a quality enough to withstand this type of wear and tear. I expect an email picture of your bear in .jpg format at the same time you apply for this position. The teddy bear needs to have a name and you must let me know if it is a boy or a girl.
* a a clear protected sheet of paper that will hold your Route Addresses which I will email to you prior to your send off date in a MS Word Document format. Just print this out and place it into a clear protected covering and into the box.
* a second protected sheet of paper labeled BOX CONTENTS. On this sheet of paper write your name and list all the contents of the box that are to remain with the bear. It might look something like this:
Jane Doe (BearKeeper) - teddy bear, journal, route list, photo album, teddy bear t-shirt, teddy bear blanket, Cleveland Indians hat (souvenir)
Sue Smith (Stop #1) - bear book (gift), Texas banner (souvenir), blue shirt for bear, photos, postcards
Julie Howard (Stop #2) - puzzle (gift), California mug (souvenir), small stuffed animal friend for the traveling bear, photos
This content list is done so the next Host on your bear's route will know what should be in the box when it arrives and what should be in the box when it departs from their location. Each Host will then add to this list the items they include with the bear.
* small journal - please start the journal by writing the date, the teddy bear's name, and something about getting him/her ready to leave, or anything else you'd like to share with your route members.
* small photo album - the kind you can stick photos or postcards in the 4x6 sleeves. Please add at least one photo of your children with the bear and/or a postcard(s) of your state or city. Preferably both.
* an EXTRA LARGE ZIPLOCK bag labeled #1 GIFT - add something small for the bear to give to the first daycare on the route. Examples - crayons, a book, small inexpensive toy, playdoh, stickers. Be imaginative, you know what your kids would like right? NO FOOD OR CANDY ITEMS are to be included.
* an EXTRA LARGE ZIPLOC bag labeled #2 STAYS WITH BEAR - add something that will stay with the bear for all of the locations on the route to view. This will be returned to you with the bear at the end of the route. Examples - souvenir from your city/state, items for the bear like a blankie or a binky or a hat or shirt, etc. These items should be listed on the BOX CONTENTS list.
NOTE: please find 'quality' ziplock-type bags for your #1 GIFT and #2 STAYS WITH BEAR. Big is good!!! Like those new huge ziplock storage bags for clothing I think?? In the past, flimsy and cheap grocery store type bags just fall apart, the items fall out, and no one knows what items belong to whom.